All of us Spelmanites remember the White Dress ceremony: That fateful day of our initiation into the College during orientation week, we don our carefully-chosen white dresses (not cream, not eggshell, not off-white) of appropriate hem and sleeve length, and black closed-toe shoes and file into…
I wish I could fully commit and deem myself a future Spelmanite but I can’t and I won’t.
1. I can’t because I haven’t been officially accepted or admitted and it just feels like I’m jumping the gun.
2. I won’t because claiming myself as Spelmanite carries a lot of weight that I may not be able…
Many are familiar with some of the unwritten Spelman College traditions like walking underneath the Alumnae Arch before Class Day may keep you from graduating on time, or stepping on the grass being (unofficially) forbidden because “Spelman women don’t cut corners.” Whether you consider yourself…
- Spelman is recognized nationally as a leading educator of African American women.
- Spelman enrolls more than 2,000 students from 43 states and 11 countries.
- Spelman has prepared more than 6 generations of African American women to reach the highest levels of academic, community and…
Chose my top two HBCU’s I’d like to attend:
Hopefully I’ll be able to write #HU19 or #Spelhouse19 in the near future.
A Memory of Donna Millette when she was 18 and I was 17
Donna: You need to get a passport! If someone invites you to Paris you won't be able to go because you don't have a passport.
Me: Nobody is going to invite me to Paris.
Donna: That's because you don't even have a passport!
All day I researched to find the pros and cons of these schools. Spelman was my initial first choice.. but then I fell in love with Howard. Now, I’m stuck in between the two. Bear with me you guys as this will be my formal list of pros and cons of both Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia and…
1. When you got to school, you thought it was going to be like Hillman…
…but it ended up being more like College Hill.
2. If you’re a girl, you may have felt a little like this…
3. Girls show up to 8 a.m. classes in stilettos and in full make up
4. Your school…
— Wise words from my mom (via nialljhoren)